The different legends about Valentine’s Day only emphasize his appeal as a heroic and romantic figure. Let’s know about some more curious facts about Valentine’s Day:
- Today, at least three different saints named Valentinus or Valentine are recognized by the Catholic Church. Incidentally, all of them were martyred.
- Some think that the day is celebrated to commemorate the anniversary of Valentine’s burial or death that probably occurred around 270 A.D. Others claim that the Christian church may have decided to celebrate Valentine’s feast day in February to ‘christianize’ the pagan Lupercalia festive celebrations.
- In the UK, the day began to be celebrated on mass-scale around the 17th century. By the middle of the 18th century, it became common for lovers and friends in all social strata to exchange tokens of affection or handwritten notes.
- Later, printed cards replaced handwritten notes owing to upgrading printing technology. Ready-made cards turned an easy means for people to convey their emotions in a time when direct expression of one’s sentiments was not encouraged.
- Americans probably started exchange of hand-made valentines in the beginning of the 18th century.
- Valentine greetings used to be popular even in the Middle Ages (written Valentine’s didn’t start to appear till after 1400).
- The oldest known Valentine card is displayed at the British Museum.
- Esther A. Howland. Howland created the first commercial Valentine’s Day greeting card in the 1840s in the US.
But then there are some who are not really enthused about the brouhaha. Taylor Swift, while talking about her Valentine’s Day plans to Girl’s Life magazine, was quoted as saying, “I don’t ever have a boyfriend on this Day and see it as an opportunity to simply hang out with some of my other single girlfriends.” Incidentally, she broke up with Taylor Lautner, the ‘Twilight’ star.
Tags: Cheap corporate gifts, Gifting occasions, Business etiquette, , Business Gifting
Corporate gifting, gifting etiquette, gifting india, Best business gifts, promotional products, corporate gifts companies