We may like to believe we’re all now evolved into rationally thinking individuals. However, that’s not always the case, as faiths and beliefs continue to retain their hold even over hardcore professionals who are determined to make their own destiny. Practices such as Feng Shui and Vaastu Shastra are still very popular with them, a survey reveals. According to it, a large chunk of working professionals are keen to boost their luck at the workplace. Clearly, the gifting industry can well capitalize on this trend.
The survey, covering nearly 800 companies across New Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai, Bangalore, Pune, Ahmedabad, and Hyderabad, reveals that, many corporate people in India still rely on superstitious beliefs just to try and boost their good luck. Practices such as Vaastu Shastra and Feng Shui that promote lucky charms are popular even at workplaces, it says. What are its findings? Let us take a quick look:
1. The faith in personal belief or superstition is quite high (62 percent) among employees in India. Over half of the respondents (51 percent) follow superstition at their workplace.
2. The most common ‘luck boosting’ practices seen at the workplace are Vaastu Shastra and Feng Shui. The favorite lucky charms are the laughing Buddha, frog, tortoise, the musical fountain, as well as the simple bamboo shoot stand.
3. The study points out that even the managements are generally adaptive to such superstitious beliefs of their employees. The former does not stop them from practising it at workplace as long as the same does not hamper productivity. Modern organizations impose no major restrictions on such practices. They opine that since these traditional beliefs do not affect the corporate culture, they do not stop these things.
4. Nearly half of the respondents (48 percent) feel superstitions and lucky charms at the workplace have had a positive effect. A large percentage of female employees (80 percent) are conducive to superstitious practices as compared to their male counterparts (68 percent).
5. Among the cities, it has been observed, the level of superstition seems to be comparatively less in Pune and Ahmedabad. The percentage of employees resorting to such practices was found to be higher in New Delhi and Bangalore, surprisingly.