Nearly eight in 10 Indians (77%) prefer Clothes, Sweets (including chocolates- 69 %) and Books (49%) as their preferred gifting items. Importantly, more than half of the people surveyed indicated they would shop online.
Following are the broad findings of a survey conducted by Nielsen India on gifting patterns research panel.
• Differences are there across different age groups in terms of gifting items, budgets and shopping channels.
• Sweets, Clothes and Books are universally popular, but more so with the mature group aged 45 and above
• The younger crowd (15-24 years) prefers to gift technology gadgets such as mobile phones and MP3 players.
• Holidays (travel and accommodation), travel tickets and tickets to amusement parks are popular new-age gift ideas.
• About 20 percent would like to give wine as a gift.
• More than half of the people surveyed indicated they would shop online.
According to N. S. Muthukumaran, Director, Online Panel, the Nielsen Company, India, the technology that has entered our lives in the last 10 years is deeply affecting young people in their twenties who have grown up with it. He says, “To many, it is cool to be seen with the latest model of phone or music system and giving one as a present is in the same league, albeit a costly option for these young folks.”
Look for more findings of the survey indicating the habits and beliefs of Indians regarding gifting in the next blog posts…